When do I use “neither” and “either”?

 Using the words “neither” and “either” can be confusing for many students, but in this short lesson, I will teach you how to use these words with confidence.

We use both “neither” and “either” when comparing options. We use “neither” as a negative, to indicate that we are not interested in the options provided.

Example: Store Employee: “Would you like a scoop of chocolate or strawberry ice cream?”

                 Me: “Neither. I would like a scoop of vanilla, please.”

In this example, I didn’t want chocolate or strawberry ice cream, so I declined both options by using the word “neither.”

Example: I’m neither tall nor short.

In this example, I’m explaining that I’m an average height. I’m not tall and I’m not short.

“Either” is used in two different ways. The first is to respond with a positive to both options, showing that you’re happy with both choices.

Example: Friend: “Would you like to have pizza or tacos for dinner?”

                 Me: “Either. I like both pizza and tacos. You choose.”

In this example, I’m letting my friend know that I would be equally happy with both pizza or tacos for dinner. I’m allowing her to decide what we will eat together.

We also use “either” to indicate two possible choices for a future event.

Example: For our reservation today, we can either work on an idiom lesson or practice phrasal verbs. What would you like to do today?

In this example, I’m giving my student two choices for different types of lessons that we can do during our session on Engvarta. I’m asking them to decide between an idiom or a phrasal verb lesson.

Post a Comment

0 Comments